Unless you know and apply some basic principles, you cannot last in any business including farming. There is no point in going into any business if we cannot do what it takes to last and be successful in it. Here are the 8 basic ways to last in it.
1. Develop the passion. Only passion can take you far into any business including farming. Without having the passion, you will not last in farming. Passion is the energy that will drive you to success no matter the difficulty you face.Passion is what will bring you back to farming even when you lose your chickens to Newcastle disease or even when predators massacre your whole flock of chickens.
2. Be committed to continuous learning. You will not go far in farming without wisdom, knowledge and understanding. It is easy to learn these days with so many useful FREE seminars all over the place. You can never learn enough in improving your farming business.The internet is awash with information. Farmers Trend, Dr.Google, Mr. Youtube, Yahoo, Instagram, Facebook among others. Read widely, join poultry forums on whatsapp and Facebook, visit agricultural shows and training seminars. Attend agritours in Kenya like the ones arranged by Farmers Trend monthly. In Kenya we have the weekly newspaper pull out such as seeds of gold from Daily Nation newspaper and Smart Harvest from The Standard newspaper. Read them.
3. Take it that problems will come. No matter how good you may be, problems will still visit you on the farm. The difference is that great farmers usually turn their problems to opportunities for growth and more profits. Egg prices will go down while feed prices go up while only the brokers benefit. Find a way a way to rise up after every fall. Find a market far from your place. Tough times never last but tough people do.
4. Apply sound business principles. You must know that farming is a business to succeed in it. A farmer should be grounded in sound business principles.Understand the market dynamics, obey the laws of demand and supply, practice market timing.
5. Be a marketer. What is the point of having products when you cannot turn it to money? Farmers in Kenya today must be sound marketers if they want to succeed. The middle men are blood suckers and only a wise farmer can outwit them!Use digital platform or mass media, Take your products to the end user, Understand the market. Middle men outwit you because they understand the market. Don’t just be satisfied by the morsels or bread crumbs. Take the lion share.
6. Keep re-investing your profits. Cash flow and profits are important elements of any business. Business success is not about how much money you make; it is how much money you keep and reinvest. Avoid get-rich-quick schemes. You will cry in the toilet. Take the narrow gate for wider is the path that leads to destruction.
7. Watch your health! Health they say is wealth. Farmers should constantly monitor their health and not internalize the pains and struggles associated with farming. Avoid stress and depression. Your life is important. Problems abound in any farming venture. Your health is important. Health is wealth.
8. Enjoy what you do. Learn to enjoy the whole process. Take it as an adventure. Any business that cannot be taken as an adventure will ultimately burdened the owner. Be happy and optimistic take profits and losses with your head held high.
Compiled by: Okuta Ngura – Founder, Owner and Managing Director at Ngura poultry care.
Email: email@example.com. Phone contacts +254729568151/+254771 210349.